Scent discrimination, alerting behaviors and more
Teaching dogs what they need to help with conditions such as diabetes, seizures, psychiatric disorders, migraines, etc.
Become a professional medical assistant dog trainer! In this course, you will learn about the disabilities that can be helped with scent detection. From sample collection to discrimination and live alerts. This is a hands-on class. We’ll meet over Zoom for an hour a week, but you will be asked to practice in between classes for at least 3 hours per week. Access to a dog that you can train as you progress through the classes will be required. You will learn the following:
- What are the disabilities that can be helped with scent detection?
- How do they impact a person’s life?
- How do dogs help?
- Training the dogs to alert.
- Task training: the alert behavior: Poke, pressing a button, bracing, retrieving medications, a drink or a phone, finding help, etc.
- 10 hours of live teaching.
- Access to a dog required for this course.
- Practical and video recorded assignments at the end of every session.
- Best suitable for advanced dog trainers.
- Practical learning experience with live project work and examples.